Monday, September 6, 2010

Essential Equipment and Gear -- from my experience

Essential Equipment/Gear  --  from my experience

1. FLT maps

It will be very difficult to do an End-to-End hike without the maps and the information on the back
of the maps. There are stretches where the white blazes are few and far between. The mileage on
the back is just for that specific map. You have to do your own math for the whole trail. The first
half of the maps uses access points which makes it easier to locate yourself on the map and figure
mileage. The eastern maps do not have access points. The mileage on the trail signs do not always
agree with the map mileage, but that was never a problem.

2. A small compass

There are times when the road signs are twisted and the direction is not clear. Also, in the woods
with the thick canopy it is sometimes difficult to use the sun for directions.

3. Pump water filter

Springs are few and far between. Most water has to come from creeks and a few ponds. There is
allot of sediment even when the water looks clear.

4. A good tent

Shelters are few and far between. Unlike the Appalachian Trail where shelters are spaced with
long distance hikers, the FLT is geared more for local hikers and day hikers. I spent most of
my nights sleeping in my tent.

5. Hard soled boots

I estimate that 35 % of the FLT is a road walk. I wore out my first set of boots at 300 miles
in part due to the hot road walks. There were times when the road played tar baby with my
boots and hiking poles. There were a number of hiking days over 90 degrees in late Jun and Jul

5. A broad brimmed hat and sun screen for the arms

The road walks often did not have shade. My arms got burnt before I bought some sunscreen.

6. Hiking pants with zip off legs

The raspberry bushes were terrible from the very beginning of the hike, but really bad in the Catskill Mountains. I am not sure if it is better in the early summer, but they make parts of the
hike miserable.

7. Walking sticks (if for nothing else to push the raspberry bushes out of the way)

8. Stove and fuel

While the shelters had fire pits, the bivouac areas did not.

9. Water bottles for at least 4 liters of water.

5 liters would probably be better except for the weight. I had to ask for water at a number of houses, and there were times when I had to conserve my water between fill ups.

10. Rope to hang food bags in the a tree

There are no bear boxes or hanging lines for food. While I saw only one bear, I did see some bear sign. The locals were always telling about bear sightings in the neighborhood.

11. 1st Aid (include some NewSkin, there are little containers now at stores) and a sawing kit
I hiked alone for the whole hike, and met a few day hikers. I was alone at the all the shelters
except

2, which means there is little or no back up from fellow hikers like it was on the AT.

There are also numerous cell phone dead zones, some in the east, but especially in the Catskills.

12. A prepaid calling card

There were 4 times when I could have used a calling card. Fortunately people let me use their
land line without charge.

13. Enough cash, and ID

3 motels did not take credit cards. I carried travelers checks and cash, but ran low later in the
hike and had to have my support crew send me cash. The travelers checks confused some of the stores I shopped at.

14. Cell phone

15. 2 LED flashlights – one for backup and one for regular use.

1 comment: