Monday, September 6, 2010

June 24th Bivouac east of Ellicottville, NY

June 24 Thur

Slow start, Tracy and I could not locate the trailhead driving up and down the road. She had to be somewhere at 9am so she dropped me off at the library. The lady in the library is married to a Forest Ranger, so we had a nice talk about hiking, camping, handing food bags, water sources, and how in our 20's 50-pound packs were easy but now very questionable if not outrageously unhealthy. She took me up to the trailhead. I got started 2 hours later than planned, but in my philosophy there is always some "reason" behind the events, even if it is not obvious. I have had several people say that I am an inspiration to them, and add, maybe someday, I will do a hike, to which I add, it is never too late, (at least at this time for me, at age 70). Did my best hiking to date today; the trail did not go as high on the ups and downs as they did in the Allegany State Forest. The bivouac area was nice with a picnic table that someone had to have hauled in the hard way (probably a 4 wheeler, there are allot of 4 wheeler trail everywhere so far, they quit at night fall, so it is quiet when they quit), but the major problem was water, the sign and the map both said there was a reliable water source at a specific location, it was a dried up spring. Experience came into play again, it was a 3/4 mile round trip to the spring from the camp site, I took my little green cup (experience has taught me its usefulness), I searched out a little run off about 300 yds further down the hill, could just barely get the cup in the water, filled up two liters 1/2 cup at a time, then dug out a deep hole for tomorrow morning (much easier getting 4 liters the next morning). I realized that on the AT there was always the feeling of hurry up, and sometimes competitive attitude about making miles, partly the need to get to Katadin by a certain time, but also by the individuals who wanted to my 25 mile days or to the 3 state challenge. Here hiking alone, it is just at my pace, my rest stops that are often and frequent, though they are getting fewer and shorter. I am still the only one out here, though there is a guy 10 days ahead of me according to the registers. It is solitary, not scare, good meditation times, my mind is not racing with thoughts while I hike, but I am aware of my body and how it feels, I shift my pack often. etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment