Monday, September 6, 2010

June 21st Bivouac

June 21 Bivouac

What an exhausting day, made some good time down a long hill, really hiked for the first time, then had a 2 plus mile walk on an old road, hot and exhausted, thought about quitting every 300 yards or so. Came to the Allegany River, went over an old bridge, the map says I am in Seneca land and to move quickly through it, sorry, quick is not in my vocabulary right now. Found a water source, clear, running from a drainage pipe under the RR track. Filtered it, cool and refreshing. Still hot and I am in slow motion. At 1 pm I stopped got my little tarp out and rested for 1 1/2 hours, then did the up hill climb, actually did ok for the first time. However, when I got to the top, it was a mile down a steep logging road, I cannot imagine how a vehicle gets logs down such a steep hill. Got to the Bivouac area with just enough water for the evening and morning. Water source is a house further down the hill. In the tent, realized I had a sinus cold, realized that this was not fun, realized that I had one days worth of food and two days of hiking. Figured I could get food at the RV park where I planned to stay tomorrow night. Began to seriously consider quitting and calling MP and asking if I could volunteer for the rest of the time on the AT in NJ.

No comments:

Post a Comment