Sunday, September 5, 2010

July 11 th Bivouac east of Hammondsport, NY

July 11, Sunday

A 3 mile hill, 12 switchbacks up, 12 switchbacks down, 11 miles of walking in the woods, no road walk today. Over all my best day. Came across, 6 Nations Cemetery this afternoon, the oldest head stone I found was 1833, saw some 1860 and 70's. Camped just off the trail, there were a couple of Bard-owls having a competion in the neighborhood. Very restful night. Observation: in my other world, I buy a bag of trail mix and eat it by the handful, here I eat it one item and piece at a time. So, which morsel do you eat first? I start with the chocolate chips because they melt from the heat of the sun, then I go to the M & Ms, then the peanuts, then the dried fruit. Followed by a power bar and a sport supplement powered drink. Now there is a lunch. We do over eat. We do things by the handful and do not pay much attention to the flavor, texture, or aroma. Every little thing has a new meaning, i.e. sounds, water, food, footing, temperature, humidity, people you see to talk with.

No comments:

Post a Comment