Sunday, September 5, 2010

July 2nd N. Hornell, NY

July 2 Friday
Long walk again today, cool temp. hot sun, I found a quarter beside the road, making it 28 cents found so far. I made it to Hornell by mid afternoon -- Econo Lodge, the mail lady arrived at the same time I did with my food box sent by Gina 3 days ago. She said she had seen me walking up a very long hill, i.e. Pennsylvania Hill Rd, earlier in the morning. She agreed it was a truly long hill. She also told me that the Post Office was 2 1/2 miles away, down town. Econo Lodge does not have a Laundromat or a computer for costumers (they let me check my email a couple of times during their less busy times), I then asked for a westward facing room with a balcony, which I got even though they were having trouble with their hot water that morning. So I hung my drying line out on the balcony supports, did my laundry, and hung it out to dry. It worked fine. Down the hill from the Econo Lodge, there is a Family Dollar store, a bar and grill (the 57 Club), a convience store, and a hardware store. None, of whom had 3 in webbing that I could make a new tump-line for my pack, the duck tape one I made at Portageville, did not last the whole segment of hike. The tump-line really does help me go uphill by easing the pressure off my shoulders making easier to take deep breaths. Once again, just like on the AT hike, I was overwhelmed with the choices of food and drink at a store. For 4 days, I had water and Energin-C, here there is water in a dozen forms of soda, tea, and bottle water both with and without flavoring. I bought a can of pork and beans and some flavored water. I overwhelmed the staff by wanting to pay for the products with a travelers check. We finally got it handled, when the supervisor of the shift called the owner to find out what to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment