Sunday, September 5, 2010

June 27th Bivouac

June 27

Very good trail today, verses yesterday, did have to take water from a drainage ditch, it was clear and cold, but had to treat it, it was the type of spot one would drive by and not even consider, or notice that there was a very valuable substance just over the edge of the road. Of course, as someone in a car, one does not think about needing water or anything else, you just drive over to the store, but back packing, what you have is what is on your back, and water, as I said earlier is where you find it, and one is very happy to have found it. I did 12 miles in 10 hours today, the best so far. At around 5 pm I stopped at a large set of buildings, asked the man if I could get water he said yes, I told him I was hoping to get to the boy scout camp by night fall but it did not look like I was going to make it. He said it was an easy 3 miles once over the first very steep hill, and that I should make it in not time. (experience, no way, it would be 8pm by the time I got here and would be really worn out), I hiked the hill, found a flat spot and camped. There were allot of 4 wheelers running around in the valley, but they stopped when it got dusk. It rained last night, found that the tent designer did a mistake, did not cover the door zipper with anything, the zipper was a porous. I figured out a solution with a small tarp and did not get too much water inside -- but I was unhappy. I know the solution now, but what I need is 4 clothespins.

No comments:

Post a Comment