Sunday, September 5, 2010

July 19th, a new shelter

July 19 Monday, New Shelter, 31 days out

The first day I have had to hike in the rain. The rain felt very cold after being hot and sweaty most of the day. Felt the best physically so far this trip, even did some walk/jog down hill when the slop was right. Did 16 miles today out of the 250 left for the hike. This evening I have wet boots and socks; my feet were prunes this evening. It was a new shelter, very nice, though the acorns falling on the metal roof jolted me at first. My world out here is usually very quiet, i.e. no loud or sudden noises. Had to hike 150 yds downhill to the spring and back. Very good water, but too far to go a second trip to wash off. Wet-ones to the rescue. Realized today that I have passed a psychological barrier at 300 miles. Somewhat like the runners wall. Anyway I found that I am looking at every mile as one less of the 250 left to go. Also I started thinking about the possibility that I might make the full 550, though at this point I would be happy with 500.

No comments:

Post a Comment