Sunday, September 5, 2010

July 31st, Bainbridge, NY

July 31 Motel

I called ahead to the Walton Motel and reserved a room. Then while listening to the news, realized that July has 31 days rather than the 30 I was using on my paper plan. I had to call Walton Motel and arrange for a different day -- fortunately it worked out. (the motel was full when I got there a few days later). There was a Donkin Donuts across the street from the Motel. They had a breakfast of coffee and donuts that came close to $5. The local cafe had a breakfast of 3-egg cheese omelet, toast & jelly, chocolate milk for $5. I went local. Saw a sign that Bainbridge was the home of Elmer's Glue. The owner of the Motel told me that one time there were 3 grocery stores, several more restaurants, and numerous other businesses before the company shipped out to China and Canada. A 0-day, it is difficult to not feel strongly that I am wasting a day of hiking. While it is true that there was a very heavy fog this morning, it has burnt off and the sky is clear. The fog means that all grass and weeds will be very wet through mid-afternoon, which in turn means wet boots, soaks, and shorts. But my "experience" tells me it is better to rest up a day. It looks like there is a good chance that I will make the whole distance. I am getting the feeling that I am coming down the home stretch. The library was closed today, though it was suppose to be open for 4 hours. I went to 2 businesses and asked if they knew of somewhere I could get on the internet. They all said no. I decided to go to the little city hall beside the active RR track and ask if they knew of some place. The lady let me use the extra computer at the desk beside hers to catch up on my email.

No comments:

Post a Comment