Sunday, September 5, 2010

July 12th Watkins Glenn

July 12 Monday

Made a wrong turn this morning, ended up in a little town, Tom, a local carpenter came over and spoke with me. He had done Boy scouts for 20 years, so we swapped Boy scout stories, his from his troop, and me from Worthington State Forest in NJ. We also talked remodeling etc. He told me that yesterday, a large back bear had been sited about a mile or so from were I was camping last night. Saw a black squirrel this afternoon. At one point on the trail, about 5 miles out from Watkins Glen, it sounded as if the racetrack was just over the next hill. Heard racecars for 2 or so hours this morning. Question: if a road is named Sugar Hill Rd, what does that mean? that 45 years ago the area was a major maple sugar supplier. Got to Seneca Lodge late this afternoon. Nice motel room, a large dining room with a salad bar. I attempted to eat 1/2 of it but did not make it. But 5 trips did put a dent into it. The contrast still gets to me, i.e. going from one world to the other rapidly. For 4 days, I walk in the woods, eat backpack food, drink the water I can find. Then in less than an hour, I am in a motel, taking a shower, starting my gear cleanup, and then in a dining room with so many choices, I am not sure where to begin. I managed, yea for adaptability.

No comments:

Post a Comment