Sunday, September 5, 2010

July 20th Lean-to

July20,

Slow start today, the rain took something out of me energy wise. The hills are starting to get more steep and longer as I get closer to the Catskills. I get more tired with the long uphill climbs. Two young men out for 3 days buzzed past me on a long up hill. We talked for a while and they went on ahead. Interestingly, I caught up with them at the shelter before they moved on to do a "few more miles". While I was making camp, 2 HS boys came by on their dirt bikes, said they were "chilling out" for a while. They talked and asked questions about hiking and the gear. After they left, 5 college students came in for a night of food, drink, and talk. Their dog was well behaved, as were they. They offered me some beer and chicken, I drank a cup and ate a piece of chicken they had grilled. I don’t think a couple of beers would do me well tomorrow. Was not sure I would get much sleep, but they were quiet, and wished me well as they left in the morning. I am on the downhill slide for this trip. Yea !!

No comments:

Post a Comment